Cake naturally sweetened with pureed carrots and stevia. To complement the sweetness of the carrots is bit of orange zest and orange marmalade in between the layers. The cake is lightly frosted with a dark chocolate buttercream.
Orange Carrot Cake with Chocolate Frosting
For the Cake:
⁃ 1 cup milk
⁃ 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) carrots
⁃ 2 cups flour
⁃ 2 tsp baking soda
⁃ 2 tsp baking powder
⁃ 3/4 tsp salt
⁃ 1 tsp cinnamon*
⁃ 4 tsp stevia*
⁃ 1/2 cup oil
⁃ 4 eggs
⁃ Zest of 1 orange
For the Chocolate Frosting:
⁃ 1 1/2 sticks (6 oz) butter, room temperature
⁃ 3/4 cups (67g) cacao powder, sifted*
⁃ 4 tsp stevia*
⁃ 2 tbsp hot water
⁃ 2 tbsp heavy cream
⁃ 1/4 cup orange marmelade
⁃ 1 orange, sliced
1. First, prep your carrots. Peel about 12 oz of carrots and set them to cook in a pot of boiling water. Will take about 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the carrots. Carrots are cooked when you can easily insert a fork. Once cooked, drain the carrots and add to a blender with the 1 cup of milk. Blend together until smooth.
2. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour three 8-inch cake pans.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and stevia.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the wet ingredients: oil, eggs, orange zest, and carrot puree. Fold the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients. Distribute among the 3 cake pans. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
5. Make the frosting: Whip butter until light and fluffy. Add cacao powder and stevia, and whip for about a minute. Add hot water, which will help to better incorporate the cacao powder and whip until smooth. Finally, add heavy cream and whip until light and fluffy again, about 2 minutes.
6. To assemble cake, add about a third of the chocolate frosting on top of the first layer of carrot cake. Add 2 tablespoons of the orange marmalade and spread on top. Repeat for the second layer of cake. Add the last layer of cake, top with the rest of the chocolate frosting, and decorate with orange slices.
*I used stevia, Ceylon cinnamon, and cacao powder from Kiva Health Foods. I highly recommend Kiva’s high-quality products for adding nutrition to your baked treats! You can use my discount code JACKIESBAKES for 10% off your order with Kiva.
Leave a Reply