Peanut butter cookies are the classic American cookie, but there are so many different varieties out there. Just on my blog I have GF Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies, Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies, and Peanut Butter Blossoms. Each type of cookie is different, in its ingredients and texture, and this is another variety of peanut butter cookies to add to the list: Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies.
These cookies spread quite a bit, allowing the outer edge to cook more than the inside, giving the cookie its distinctive texture: crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside.
Aside from the wonderful taste, this cookie recipe is great because of its simplicity. Only one mixing bowl is needed for the dough and these are drop cookies, so no dough needs to be rolled out, no forks are needed to make those little hash marks that are often seen on peanut butter cookies. These make for a great weekend treat!
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- dash of salt
- Whip butters and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Do not over-mix. Store in the fridge until somewhat firm; about 45 minutes.
- Once your dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out 3-4 tablespoons of dough and roll them into one large ball. Repeat until you’ve finished your dough. Flatten slightly on your baking sheet. Cook for 12-15 minutes, turning the tray halfway through baking.