Whenever I make snickerdoodle cookies, I am amazed at how many people have actually never had one before.
By the time I got around to making these snickerdoodle cupcakes, I was pretty certain that this would be the first time for everyone trying them (it was actually even the first time for me).
So maybe you’re wondering what makes these different from plain cinnamon cupcakes. Well, snickerdoodle cookies are vanilla cookies dunked in cinnamon sugar before being baked. Similarly, the batter of these snickerdoodle cupcakes is placed in the cupcake tins, one scoop at a time, and sprinkled with a spoonful of sugar between each scoop to create a bit of a cinnamon-swirl affect.
The cupcakes are then topped with a cinnamon buttercream and a piece of snickerdoodle cookie.
Overall, I’d call these a crowd-pleaser.
Click here for my snickerdoodle cookie recipe.
- 1 and 2/3 cups (210g) all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cups (150g) sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (60ml) yogurt
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup shortening
- 3 to 4 cups (360-480g) confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 12 snickerdoodle cookies, mini or cut in ½ or ¼ size pieces
- 1. For the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350F and prepare your cupcake pan.
- 2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. In a microwave-proof bowl, melt the butter. Whisk in the sugar. Add egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the liquid mixture. Only mix until combined. Batter should be thick.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine 2 tsp cinnamon and ½ cup sugar. Fill your cupcake pans with alternating spoonfuls of batter and spoonfuls of cinnamon-sugar. This will create a marbles affect. Fill until ¾ full.
- 4. Bake for 19-21 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 5. For the frosting: Whip the butter and shortening together. Once that’s light and fluffy, add in the heavy cream. Add the cinnamon and salt and gradually add the sugar. Frost each cupcake and top with a snickerdoodle cookie.