This cake is amazing in the morning next to some coffee or tea! It’s a light cake with just enough lemon and a hint of almond.
The icing perfectly compliments the cake, making it just sweet enough!
Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cups plus 2 tbsp whole milk
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon (about — 2 tbsp)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
12 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp poppy seeds
3/4 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a bundt cake baking pan.
2. Whip the eggs in the bowl of a standing mixer until they start to become thick, about 4 minutes. Add the sugar and continue to whip. The mixture should be very thick and foamy.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt. Add this mixture to the egg and sugar batter. Mix just until combined. Slowly add the milk.
4. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Fold in the lemon zest and juice, vanilla extract, almond extract, and melted butter. Finally, fold in the poppy seeds.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt cake pan. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
6. While the cake is cooling, make the icing: Put the powdered sugar in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons heavy cream and start mixing with a small spoon. You want a very thick but smooth mixture. If necessary, add another tablespoon of heavy cream.
7. Once the cake has cooled, invert the cake onto a large plate. Drizzle with the icing.
Are you looking for a heartier lemon cake? Try my Lemon Cream Bundt Cake — it’s made with heavy whipping cream and has a delicious, crunchy exterior!