Simplicity is a form of honesty.
With simple desserts, people notice the crumb and the texture and the way this piece you’ve made for them just melts in their mouth — so long as what you have made turns out well!
This lemon cream cake here is just about as simple as they get: there’s flour, sugar, butter, and of course some lemon and cream too. The sweetness is subtle and the lemon is light.
This simple dessert will truly show your mastery as a pastry chef. There’s not much to this, just whipping the ingredients together, but the result is exquisite!
This bundt cake tastes great with some berries and whipped cream, or simply with a cup of coffee.
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 ½ tablespoons butter, melted
- zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar, to top
- 1. Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease and flour a bundt cake pan.
- 2. In the bowl of a standing mixer, whip the eggs and powdered sugar together until light and fluffy – this may take about 5 minutes.
- 3. Add one cup of flour and the baking powder and salt to the egg mixture and mix on low speed. Slowly add the heavy cream. Now add the rest of the flour.
- 4. Remove the bowl from the standing mixer and, with a spatula, fold in the butter, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- 5. Pour the cake batter into the bundt pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- 6. Allow the cake to cool completely. Loosen with a knife, then flip out onto a large plate. Flip the cake over so the cracked top is facing upwards. Sprinkle with powdered sugar using a sieve.
- 7. Enjoy fresh and maybe with whipped cream and berries!