Looking for an excuse to have breakfast for dinner? Want another sweet twist on the classic pancake?
Well then you have to make this recipe. And making a pancake cake is actually a great idea for any type of pancake recipe you have, however I would definitely recommend you try this one. These pancakes aren’t your average. They’re light, sweet, buttery, and just a melt-in-your-mouth kind of delicious.
And this strawberry filling truly is a great match for the pancakes as it is also light and sweet.
Other fillings would work well with these pancakes too. Almost any type of fruit can be made into a syrup and used for this. Or if you want something after dinner that’s more cake-like, place your favorite cream cheese frosting in between the layers.
And if you know you’ll be pressed for time, don’t worry. The pancakes can be made up to a day ahead of time, kept in the fridge. Assemble the cake with a filling no more than two hours before you plan on eating it.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rye or wheat flour
- 2 tbps cornmeal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 yolks
- 2 tbsp butter, plus some for the pan
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries* (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- *you can really use any berries you have on hand
- 1. Pancakes: In a large bowl, sift together the flours, cornmeal, sugars, baking powder, and salt. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Combine the two mixtures.
- 2. Heat an 8-inch skillet with a bit of butter in it. Once heated, place about ½ cup of batter in it, allowing the batter to completely coat the pan. Once large bubbles begin to appear on the pancake, flip over, cooking for about another minute. Place on a glass plate and repeat.
- 3. Filling: To make filling, place the strawberries in a small sauce pan. Mix with a fork, smashing the berries. Once juices begin to release, add the cornstarch and sugar. Allow to boil, stirring continually.
- 4. Assemble the cake no more than two hours before serving. Simply place a pancake on the plate, add a layer of the strawberry mixture, and repeat.