Rose-shaped butter cookies, dipped in a light, rose-water based icing, decorated with culinary-grade rose petals.
Rose Shortbread Cookies
For the cookies:
1 cup butter (2 sticks) butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp rose water
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg yolks
2 cups flour
For the icing:
1.5 cups powdered sugar
3-4 tbsp rose water
Rose petals, to decorate
1. Prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whip butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add rose water, salt, and yolks and whip. Add flour and continue mixing.
3. Place dough in an icing bag, fitted with a large star tip. Pipe rosettes of dough onto the parchment paper, leaving about an inch of space between each cookie.
4. Place cookie tray in the fridge or freezer for 20 minutes to chill the dough. This will firm the cookies and prevent them from spreading.
5. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or just until the cookies begin to brown.
6. Once cookies are cool, prepare the icing. Place powdered in a bowl and whisk in rose water, one teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Dip each cookie halfway into the icing, then place on a sheet of parchment paper to dry. Before the icing sets, sprinkle rose petals on top.