Pleasantly sweet cake with hints of almond and cardamom. Topped with a blood orange icing. Perfect with a morning cup of tea!
Blood Orange Almond Cake
For the cake:
1 cup sugar
Zest of 1 orange
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cardamom
3/4 cups whole milk
Juice of 1 orange (about — 1/4 cup)
1 tsp almond extract
12 tbsp butter, melted
For the icing:
1 tbsp butter, melted
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
2 tbsp slivered almonds, to top
Orange slices, to top
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
2. In a small bowl, mix sugar and orange zest together. In the bowl of a standing mixer, whip the eggs until they start to thicken, about 4 minutes. Add the sugar and continue to whip. The mixture should be very thick and foamy.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom. Add half of this mixture to the egg and sugar batter and fold with a spatula. Next, add the milk, orange juice, almond extract and butter, folding again with a spatula. Finally, add the rest of the dry mixture, folding in with a spatula.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
5. While the cake is cooling, make the icing: In a small bowl, melt the butter. Add the powdered sugar, almond extract, and the orange juice. Whisk until smooth.
6. Once the cake has cooled, drizzle with the icing. Top with fresh orange slices and slivered almonds.