Cookie bars sweetened with white chocolate with a touch of sour from lime zest and candied lime peel. Topped with a soft lime buttercream. Reminiscent of sugar cookies and a super simple treat to bake!
White Chocolate Lime Cookie Bars
For the cookie dough
* 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 egg
* 3 cups flour
* 1 ½ tsp baking powder
* ¼ tsp salt
* 6 oz white chocolate chips
* 1/4 cup candied citron*
For the frosting
* 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
* 2 tbsp lime juice
* ½ tsp gelatin
* ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
* 2 cups powdered sugar
* 1/2 tsp matcha powder (for color)
* Pinch of lime zest
*candied lime peel. I got mine from Paradise Candied Fruits
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9×13 inch rectangular pan.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixer, whip butter until creamy. Add the sugar and continue to whip until light and fluffy. Add the egg and whip once more.
3. In a separate bowl, toss the flour, baking powder, salt, chocolate, and candied citron. Mix this into the butter mixture, one cup at a time.
4. Press the dough into prepared baking pan. Bake for about 16 minutes, or just until cookie bars barely start to turn golden (over cooking will lead to crunchy, hard cookie bars).
5. Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In a small glass cup, mix together the whipping cream and lime juice. Sprinkle gelatin on top and let sit for about five minutes. Mix again, then place in the microwave until warm, about 15 seconds (do not boil). Check on the cream every couple of seconds, stirring each time. Cream is ready when the gelatin appears fully dissolved.
6. In the bowl of a standing mixer, whip butter. Add the cream/gelatin mixture. Whip until light and fluffy. Add half the powdered sugar, matcha powder, and lime zest. Add the rest of the powdered sugar. Spread frosting over cooled cookie bars. Sprinkle the top with a bit more lime zest. Cut into bars and enjoy!
Leave a Reply