Yet another apple recipe, but in all honesty, this is probably the best one yet. This cake has just the right amount of fluffiness, a perfect balance of sweet and salty crumbles, it topped with a light cinnamony glaze, and has a delicious apple crunch!
This cake is great for any occasion too: breakfast, brunch, lunch, dessert. Bring it to a picnic or bake it for a formal dinner: everyone will be sure to wipe their plates clean!
Apple Crumble Coffee Cake
Write a review
For the Streusel
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ¾ cup (6 oz or 1 ½ sticks) butter
For the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp coarse salt
- ½ cup (4 oz or 1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream (or, for a healthier cake, use Greek yogurt)
- 3 to 5 medium apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
For the Glaze
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- a dash of cinnamon
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1. Begin with the streusel: Combine flour, sugar, and salt. With your hands, knead in the butter until medium clumps form. Set aside or place in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- 2. The cake: Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter or grease a 9 or 10 inch round pan. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, and salt. In the bowl of a standing mixer, whip the butter until light and fluffy. Add in the sugar and whip for another minute. While the mixer is running, add in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in three parts, alternating with the sour cream (or Greek yogurt).
- 3. Place all the cake batter in the prepared cake form. On top of this, place the all the apple slices. Finally, crumble the streusel on top.
- 4. Bake in the oven for about 55 minutes until the top is golden brown. Allow to cool before the next step.
- 5. Make the glaze: In a small bowl, mix together the confectioners’ sugar and the cinnamon. Add the milk a tablespoon at a time until the glaze has reached a desired consistency. Drizzle over the cake.
Jackie's Delectable Delights https://jackiesdelights.net/
Leave a Reply