Delicious scones that make a great breakfast treat.
½ cup strawberries*
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 tablespoons butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¾ cup strawberries, diced*
*strawberries can be fresh or frozen
- Preheats oven to 375F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat the ½ cup strawberries and mash them with a fork. Add the sugar and heavy cream and continue to beat until few chunks remain.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the butter with a fork; mixture will be crumbly.
- Once the strawberry mixture has cooled a bit, beat in egg and vanilla. Add this to the flour mixture.
- Mix in the diced strawberries. If you’re using frozen strawberries, youcan heat them up and mash them before adding them.
- Place all the dough on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle flour on top and spread the dough out with your fingers until it’s about ¼ to ½ an inch thick. Your dough should now be in the shape of a square or rectangle. With a knife, cut twice in both directions, creating nine squares. Cut each square diagonally, so you end up with 18 triangle scones. You can leave them all connected for a softer treat.
- Bake in the oven for about 18 to 20 minutes.
- (^^this is how the scones should look before you put them in the oven)
- Adapted from: King Arthur Flour